Monday, September 24, 2007

[the] Room of Doom

essay number 1 for the semester...

im not proud of it..but i should def. get a c or better...idk haha

i wish  some ome this ish were more natural..haha anyways
 

 

"The Room of Doom" is what I have begun to call my sanctuary. This area that is also my room is that of a publically private domain located in the back of my current residence. This location that I chose to write about doesn't only mean the world to me, but it is my world, and I am the governor, president and sometimes even a dictator of and in my own room. By the end of this essay you should have a little bit of insight on the feel of the room and an understanding of how important a room can be to an individual.

                As I lie here on my love sac, I start to realize that my room has a modern feel to it. At first glance it seems like an active 26 year old could occupy this space. The room seems filled but not entirely used; I have a poster of New York's Time Square positioned above my door that leads to my backyard, I keep it up there for some nature of inspiration. There are six usable corners, four of which are filled with the essentials of my generation. One corner has my bed that is one the most reliable sources of relaxation that the room provides. The corner opposite of that the bed lounges the love sac. I call it "the sac", and that big bag of memory foam holds the power to attract the body of any onlooker; the word "Plop" comes to mind when I listen to people blitz themselves onto it. Opposite of that corner stands my television that I acquired with the room; it provides adequate entertainment when needed, but doesn't play an active role in the importance of my room. The corner that matters most is the corner that is located in the back of the room; where my computer desk is established. I spend 75% of my time in this vicinity of the room typing my life away while listening to whatever music is relevant for the day. A bookshelf is situated less than 5 feet away from the computer desk and two of the four shelves are filled with DVD movies and one of the four shelves has a bunch of cd cases that I have accumulated through the years. My closet is a small but spacious parcel that holds my attire and useless rubbish from my last room.

When you walk into the room you will hear music, regardless of the time of day. I leave the music playing while I am gone to set the mood of the room for whoever visits while I am gone. My computer provides the musical entertainment in the far corner of the room thus creating a distant but definite 'feel' for the room. The room in its whole smells like that of an unsolicited capacity at times but the daily douse of febreze leaves a consistent citrusy smell that enlightens your senses on how to feel when in the room itself.

                Before I moved into it, this room was a neglected storage space. It was basically an in-home shed but without the cliché spiders and unwanted attendance of decay. When I was younger; whenever there was a family event, me and most of the extended family of my age would play hide and seek while the family visited. I always hid in this room if it was during the day because at night when the lights in the room were off it looked like that of a lifeless and gloomy den...With monsters!

 My house is that of a helping home; Extended family and friends are forever staying here only for a couple months at a time. At one point we didn't have enough space to hold everyone comfortably because more family was going to move in for a couple of months in addition to a few other family members already residing with us. Upon realization of how the living situations would be; my dad decided to convert the storage room into a fully functional bedroom. He finished within the 6 months that he had to work on it. It was a project for him to execute because he was newly retired and needed something to do with his time. By the end of 2006; the family that was occupying this room moved into their new home and this leaving this fresh opportunity to stretch my legs. My mother beat me to it! Turns out, she already had plans to turn the room into an area for her to take care of a few of her everyday chores that she can do without the essence of a new room. By September 2007; my parentals elected to move me into the room by my birthday.

                A simple day in this room consists of computing, eating, sleeping, being lazy and singing. I wake up every day and roll out of my bed without making it. I head to my closet and put on whatever is relevant for the occasion and I attend to whatever is on the agenda for the day.

When I return from wherever I was at; I instantly plop onto my uber comfortable love sac and just let my body rest until I get bored. From there I proceed to my computer desk where I check on what is going on in my world along with the real world, listen to my music, and talk to my friends. After I finish eating whatever I yearn for throughout the day, I procrastinate for the remaining hours of the night until my eyes start to burn and I slither back into my bed that feels the same way I left it 12+ hours ago where I  call it a night. Everyone has a place that they can be at peace if its anything from there room to a random location in their town, I am very grateful that my room provides everything that I need. It protects me from external harm, shelter from the public and most of all it provides plenty of entertainment for me and others that aren't fortunate enough to spend as much time in it as I do.

No comments: